Saturday, January 31, 2009

What My Soul Hungers For

What my soul hungers for...pretty general prompt, no? When my teacher gave me this prompt for an essay, my immediate thought was 'my soul hungers for a more specific prompt.'
It didn't take too long to figure out what kind of yummies my soul tummy was grumbling for. Picking a cliche entree such as 'happiness, truth, or answers' is not and never will be my style. Digging deeper captures attention, so why not grab a shovel and dig in to the soil of the soul?

My soul hungers for the lyrics that may curb the voracious appetite that continues to satiate my curiosity of the past, present, and future. Through music, my soul has always, in a sense, been fed by the words and rhymes of others – others who can put my thoughts and inner workings of my heart into song.
My soul has always found itself intertwined with music, so my essay from henceforth will be lyrics from songs that have connected with me in ways I couldn’t even describe with my own words.
One may believe that my essay is devoid of original thought. However, my soul hungers for so much more than a simple feeling – it remains completely unaware of a singular want. I am full of questions, full of doubt – who can tell me the answers? My soul will never starve from this steady diet of encouragement, commiseration, and hope. Whether it is found in a song, a couplet, or even three words, I find the food to fuel my soul within these words.

I’ve never felt so lost, I’ve never felt so much at home. I fall asleep with my friends around me, the only place I know I feel safe. You have my heart in your hands. To all of my friends, where do I start? You know I’d be dead without you in my heart. You can stand under my umbrella. It’s a bittersweet symphony, this life. What’s wrong baby? Don’t they treat you like they should? They’re just jealous because we’re young and in love. We were just young and restless and bored. I would like to thank you for showing me a part of myself I had never seen. Good times, bad times, you know I’ve had my share. I know the heart of life is good.

What am I supposed to do now? Man the game all messed up. How I suppose to stand out when everyone get dressed up? Dark blue, dark blue have you ever been alone in a crowded room? Sometimes I feel like I don’t have a partner. I can’t do this all on my own…I’m no superman. My yellow in this case is not so mellow/In fact Im trying to say its frigthened like me/And all these emotions of mine keep holding me from/Giving my life to a rainbow. I seen a rainbow yesterday/But too many storms have come and gone/Leavin' a trace of not one God-given ray/Is it because my life is ten shades of gray/I pray all ten fade away/Seldom praise Him for the sunny days.

I’ve always believed in futures. Can I break the spell of the typical? I’ve been waiting all this time to be something I can’t define. I always wanna feel like part of this was mine. We all want something more than just a simple life. I want to live where soul meets body. If you left it up to me everyday would be a holiday from real. I’m looking for something to help me burn out bright. Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same. Just staple it together and call it bad weather.

What are you waiting for? Come as you are. Wanna take a ride; get out of this place while we still have time? Tell you what I’m gonna rock this bitch. I know the game like I’m reffing it. I’m on my feet I’m on the floor I’m good to go. I know you hate it, but I’m doing so good. Just do your best, do everything you can, and don’t you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say. It’s not about the money we make; it’s about the passions that we ache for.
Heaven’s not a place where you go when you die. It’s that moment in life when you actually feel alive. All you need is love. All we need is just a little patience. She’ll carry on through it all, she’s a waterfall. Whatever tomorrow brings I’ll be there. Believe your voice can mean something. We are eagles; the nest is in our soul. And that’s how you let the beat build.

If you see an artist, lyric, or some lines you like, let me know. Tell me what your life-changing lyrics are!




No comments:

Post a Comment

music lovers had to say...