Monday, November 16, 2009

Song of the Day


**11/16/09

Between the Buried and Me - Obfuscation

--------------As I listened to the opening riffs to "Mirrors," the first track of BTBAM's October 27th release, The Great Misdirect, I thought to myself, question mark? Are these the same hardcore hometown heroes that I have died over not seeing at the Orange Peel this past Halloween? They've gone softer than butter in an EasyBake!


Then the album launched into "Obfuscation," and I breathed a sigh of relief. Course BTBAM wouldn't let me down - an offensive amount of chugging percussion, Tommy Rogers throwing mouthfulls into the mic, and lengthy, beautifully executed interludes. The band nailed this number at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh, North Carolina in September, giving fans a first taste at what was to come on the album. I'm confident that whether or not you're a fan of Between the Buried and Me's pre or post 2005 lineup change, you'll enjoy The Great Misdirect. The moral of the story - never judge an album by its first track.


No comments:

Post a Comment

music lovers had to say...